Summer School in Philosophy of the Life Sciences
The ThUMB 2019 Summer School in Philosophy of the Life Sciences: Molecular Biology and Evolution, funded by the Croatian Science Foundation will take place at the University of Rijeka, from July 15 to July 18, 2019.
The Summer School has three main objectives: (1) assessing new trends in philosophy of molecular biology (including mechanistic explanation, reductionism, gene concepts, genome evolution); (2) focusing on different ways through which current practice in molecular biology might refresh discussion of some traditional philosophical and methodological issues in general philosophy of science, such as, but not limited to, model-building, scientific explanation, and evidence; (3) offering support to the attendees’ future research careers by establishing group and individual interactions among the peers and with the School’s speakers and advisors.
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS and advisors
Tudor Baetu (University of Quebec in Trois-Rivieres, Canada)
Agnes Bolinska (University of Cambridge, UK)
James DiFrisco (KU Leuven, Belgium)
Tomislav Domazet-Lošo (Ruđer Bošković Institute, Zagreb, Croatia)
Daniel Nicholson (KLI, Austria)
Sahotra Sarkar (University of Texas at Austin, USA)
Zdenka Brzović (University of Rijeka, Croatia)
James DiFrisco (KU Leuven, Belgium)
Predrag Šustar (University of Rijeka, Croatia)
Vito Balorda (University of Rijeka, Croatia)
CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
The target group of the Summer School attendees are early stage researchers (post-docs, PhD students, late stage MA students), but also other interested researchers.
In order to apply, please, send a short CV and 500 word abstract on a topic that you would like to present at the Summer School. Please submit the material in a pdf form to Predrag Šustar, firstname.lastname@example.org
The submission deadline is April 15, 2019. You will be notified about our decision until May 1, 2019.
Accepted applicants will not be charged with a tuition fee. Coffee, refreshments and lunches will be provided by the organizer. There is a possibility for accommodation in student housing at a reduced fee (however, the places are limited so it will work on a first-come first-served basis).
We invite all interested participants to apply and spend productive 4-days with prominent keynote speakers and advisors in pleasant surroundings of northern Adriatic coastal city of Rijeka, Croatia (European Capital of Culture 2020).
For any further inquiries, please contact Predrag Šustar (University of Rijeka) email@example.com or Zdenka Brzović (University of Rijeka) firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the ThUMB project website: http://thumb.ffri.hr/
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
Faculty of Humanities
and Social Sciences, University of Rijeka
Sveučilišna avenija 4, 51000 Rijeka, Croatia
- Rijeka Krk Airport. Bus to Rijeka: Buses from the airport to Rijeka (average trip duration: 45 minutes)
- Trieste airport . Bus to Rijeka: Trieste bus station (average trip duration: 2 hours and half)
- Pula airport. Bus to Rijeka: Buscroatia or Flixbus (average trip duration: 2 hours and half)
- Zagreb airport. Bus to Rijeka: Zagreb airport – Rijeka buses or Buscroatia or Flixbus (average trip duration: 2 hours and half); Train to Rijeka: Croatian Railway (average trip duration: 4 hours)
- Ljubljana airport. Bus to Rijeka: Buscroatia or Flixbus (average trip duration: 2 hours and half); Train to Rijeka: DB (average trip duration: 3 hours)
Getting to the Campus – Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Bus lines from city center (buses are differentated by numbers, and names of starting and final destinations)
For finding bus routes see also Moovit
- Bus 8 (direction Torpedo – Trsat – Kampus), arrives across the street from the Faculty building (Sveucilisna avenija street)
- Bus 8a (direction Jelačićev trg (Jelacic square) – Kampus), arrives across the street from the Faculty building (Sveucilisna avenija street)
- Bus 2 (direction Srdoči – Trsat), arrives at the southern entrance of the campus (Slavka Krautzeka street)
Taxi services (taxis in Rijeka are relatively cheap – around 4 Euros from city center to the Campus) – you can find them parked at the main bus station Žabica or order a taxi:
Hostels and private accommodation
Hotel Bonavia ****
Hotel Jadran ****
Hotel Neboder ***